Other Excursion Boats
Last Update: 10-25-09
City of Webster
The City of Webster was the first sternwheeler that Joseph Breeck operated on Webster Lake. It was steam powered and approximately 40 feet long. It is believed to have operated on Webster lake from about 1906 to 1913. Legend has it that the boat overturned and sank in 1913.
Left: The City of Webster at the Yellow Banks Hotel landing, circa 1906.
Right: The City of Webster at the Backwater bridge, circa 1908.
Left: The City of Webster at the Yellow Banks Hotel landing.
Right: View of Yellow Banks Hotel and the City of Webster.
Left: Another view of the City of Webster at the Backwater bridge.
Right: The City of Webster at Miller's Landing, circa 1910.
Left: The City of Webster at Millers Landing, circa 1912.
Right: Vevay Indiana newspaper article printed June 2nd, 1913.
The City of Webster, circa 1912.
The Ethel H operated on Webster lake around 1904, and possibly through 1908. It was a sidewheeler steamboat, approximately 45 feet in length. John Mock was the captain of this boat. Mock was a longtime North Webster resident. He had served as Postmaster at the Boydston Mill from 1889 to 1893. His son, Bud Mock, helped in the construction of the present Dixie in 1929.
It is very likely that the Ethel H was brought to Webster lake for the grand re-opening of the newly remodeled Yellow Banks Hotel.
Two views of the Ethel H at the Yellow Banks Hotel landing, circa 1904.
Right: Captain John Mock is standing at the bow of the boat (far right).
Joe Breeck is standing at the far left, with derby hat and suspenders.
Left: The Ethel H at Miller's landing, circa 1904.
Right: Colorized version of the "Ethel H at
Yellow Banks" postcard.
Left: The Ethel H with Captain John Mock at the helm.
Right: Thomas and Mary Peabody, founders of the
Peabody Retirement Community, North Manchester,
Indiana, pose in their new horseless carriage,
which was a 1903 "Curved-Dash" Oldsmobile.
Left: A later photo of the Ethel H on nearby Lake Tippecanoe,
circa 1909. A spotlight and navigation lights have been
added to the top deck, since its days on Webster Lake.
Right: The Ethel H on James Lake, circa 1909.
The Cuban Girl is known to have operated on Webster lake in 1902. It was a small steam launch owned by J.F. Bawlby, and it was approximately 28 feet in length.
The Steam Launch "Cuban Girl", July 26th, 1902.